Black Bean and Orange Chili
Serves 4 as a tasty Halloween night dinner
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3-15.5 oz. cans black beans, drained
- 2-14.5 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 oranges, zested then juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne to taste (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent. Add garlic and spices and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes or until fragrant.
Stir in black beans, tomatoes, and half the orange juice. Lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the zest. If chili is too thick, add some or all of the remaining orange juice.
Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne if desired.
Serving suggestions: Spoon over rice or tortillas with sour cream, cilantro, and orange segments.