Prepare your home for emergencies
Emergiencies: Most of us, we hope, will not experience a disaster such as a hurricane, earthquake, or tornado in our lifetimes.
But severe thunderstorms can cause power outages, and water or wind damage to property.
Are you prepared to cope if you are hit by a natural disaster?
Consider the following when you prepare your home for an emergency:
- Prune tree limbs to keep them from falling on your home.
- Store candles, matches, a flashlight, extra batteries and a portable radio in an accessible location.
- Stock up on necessities if you are warned a severe storm is coming.
- Don’t forget prescription medicines and a first aid kit.
- Have on hand enough bottled water for each family member to have one gallon per day.
- If you live in an earthquake prone area, secure water heaters to the wall or floor.
If your home is damaged in a storm, contact your insurance agent immediately.
It’s your responsibility to protect our house from further damage.
Don’t authorize repairs until you are told to do so by your insurance agent or company.