Recipe: Coconut Braised Spinach and Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown – about 5 minutes. Add garlic, pepper and lemon zest and stir for another 3 minutes. Add chickpeas and cook over high heat for a few minutes until everything is coated with the onion and garlic mixture.
Add spinach in several batches until all is included and wilted. Add coconut milk, salt, ginger, and lemon juice. Lower heat, cover, and cook for 10 minutes or until everything is warmed through. If needed, add more salt and lemon juice.