Recipe New-Fangled Collard Greens
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces tasso ham or other savory spiced ham
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped coarsely (about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust this according to how salty your ham is)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch hot red pepper flakes (omit if you are using spicy tasso)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (about half a small lemon)
- 1/3 cup half and half
Rinse collards well. Cut or tear leaves from stalks and chop coarsely. In large pot, melt butter over medium low heat. Add diced tasso and brown lightly, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook and stir until it begins to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add chopped collards, water, salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes. Stir well, turn to lowest simmer and cover. Cook about 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Add lemon juice and stir. Add half and half, stir and serve.